Friday, March 04, 2011

Friday Five: Lent Edition


What are some things you appreciate about the season of Lent? Perhaps you would share 5 of them with us. And for your bonus question feel free to share one thing you could do without.
1. Purple. I love the color of the liturgical season. We have purple vestments out and I wear my favorite purple stole(from Guatemala). 
2. Flowers. Typically, during Lent, the flowers begin to bloom. In my previous church we had the kids decorate a special cross on Easter Sunday. All flowers are brought in by members from their own yards.
3. Reese's peanut butter eggs. I love the regular candy, but around Lent, they bring out the wonderful eggs. They have a lot more peanut butter in them and are fat.
4. Worship services. I love the special services during this time. My favorite is Ash Wednesday. I did not grow up with the tradition, but love it now
5. During this time we typically have our Confirmation class join the church. It is wonderful to see these young adults take such a big step as joining the church.
Bonus: The one thing I can honestly do without is Sunrise Service on Easter Sunday morning(esp if Easter falls on the daylight savings time)!! I am simply not a morning person and I do not enjoy being up early. Yes I know that this is when they went to the tomb and discovered Jesus was not there. But seriously, do we really have to get up early? Sunset services are much more my style.

3 comments:

Templeamma said...

Yea! Reese's peanut butter eggs- my favorite Easter candy too!

kathrynzj said...

I grew up with sunrise services on the Atlantic Ocean - awesome. My first one in this area was looking over a glistening field of harvested corn that had just been spread - brutal.

I like the other special services that come with the season though as you mentioned.

Thanks for playing!

Sandy said...

I also love the Reese's eggs. And I would probably not be a fan of sunrise services either. I'm very lucky that I've never been in a church that did this (and haven't gone so far as to seek out the experience just yet!)